Poetry

Poetry  


In this week's session, we focused on poetry. We examined The Flattered Flying Fish and The Sea, which are two poems that students at the primary level should be taught or be familiar with. I can recall reading the Flattered Flying Fish in primary school, but the other poem was new to me. We also looked at the structure of the poems and the literacy devices that were used. Additionally, we had to indicate whether we are lovers or non-lovers of poetry.

 My stance on poetry was clear, I did not need much to figure it out. The question brought back vivid memories of my hatred for literature during my second form year of high school. I can recall a sense of frustration in understanding the meanings of poems, let alone attempting to understand the literary devices that were used in the poem. At that time, I could not even recollect what these devices were. I vividly recall my teacher discussing various literary devices, such as similes and metaphors but by then, I had already become disheartened with the subject. Since literature was my least favorite subject, when the opportunity arose in the third form to choose my subjects, I happily decided against literature.

During the discussion of literacy devices, I was able to recall what they are and what they mean because of studying Communication Studies in college. However, I am still having problems identifying a few in poems such as imagery and onomatopoeia. All hope was not lost as I finally remembered something. I remember the scheme of the poem. I was able to recognize that the poem rhymed and that the rhymes all had the same ending. I was also able to count the rhyme scheme of the poem. 

My dislike for poetry may negatively impact my ability to teach this subject during my teaching practicum. Realizing this, I understand the importance of reshaping my own attitude towards poetry to ensure a positive and enjoyable experience for both me and my students. If I fail to address this mindset, it might influence my students' perceptions of poetry as well. Therefore, I am committed to finding creative and engaging ways to make poetry enjoyable for myself first, with the intention of conveying that enthusiasm to my students. By changing my attitude, I hope to create a positive space for students to benefit from exploring poems and literary devices.



Comments

  1. Hi Tiaquandra, I can relate to sometimes not being able to identify literary device in poems but from being exposed now to the different types of writing such as descriptive writing I have now get a better understanding of how to identify them. I am glad that you have notice the importance of reshaping your attitude towards poetry before you enter the classroom so that, you can be able to do your best while teaching poetry and giving the students a good experience.Overall,I see that you may not had the love for poetry, but you sure do understand the concepts on poetry. Thanks for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiaquandra, your blog post reflects a profound journey with poetry, from initial dislike due to early frustrations with literary devices to a newfound commitment to reshaping this attitude for the benefit of future students. Your self-awareness about the potential impact of your feelings on your teaching practice is commendable. The shift in your understanding, marked by a reacquaintance with literary devices, signifies personal growth and a dedication to transforming your teaching approach. Your determination to make poetry enjoyable for yourself and, subsequently, for your students, highlights the pivotal role of a teacher's mindset in shaping a positive and enriching educational experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi blogger! Your recognition now of poetry's importance to yourself and your students shows growth as an educator. It was insightful to read your blog entry, it portrays a deep journey with poetry, from the early distaste stemming from your early disappointments with literary methods to a renewed dedication to changing this mindset for the sake of upcoming pupils. It's admirable that you are conscious of the possible influence of your emotions on the way you educate. The change in your comprehension, shown by a renewed familiarity with literary devices, represents personal development and a commitment to changing your method of instruction. i do hope on returning to the classroom this new found excitement travels onto you students.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment