How do you feel about the teaching of writing now?

 

How Do You Feel About The Teaching Of Writing Now?


“Attitude is a small thing that can make a big difference,” Winston Churchill. As I reflect on this course, I must admit that my attitude towards writing was not great. I also lacked the knowledge of how to teach writing in an engaging and enjoyable way for my students. When I started college, I really did not like writing. It felt like a chore, something I found tedious and annoying. This course was a challenge for me because of my existing negative feelings about writing. I was eagerly waiting for it to end.




However, as the weeks passed, I began to realize that my negative attitude towards writing could affect my future students. This made me rethink my perspective. I started to see writing as a complex task that requires careful thought and planning. Now, I am motivated to bring more energy to my teaching and inspire my students to enjoy writing as much as I can. I plan to choose writing tasks that are interesting and relevant to their lives to encourage active participation.

The course also emphasized the importance of different writing styles. For my teaching practice, I will guide students in creating exposition pieces. I plan to share my knowledge of the writing process, give my students the tools to navigate challenges, and use fun prompts to spark creativity. Ideally, I would like to include hands-on activities, to allow students to experiment with prompts before starting their prewriting or drafts.


One big revelation during the course was learning about the 6 plus one traits of writing. This gave me a better understanding of their roles in the writing process and how they can guide me in teaching. With this knowledge, I have specific activities to help students develop these essential writing traits. I am particularly excited about activities that boost the idea trait, to encourage  students to come up with creative concepts. Understanding the traits also makes me more confident about assessing and marking writing assignments. The 6 plus 1 trait checklist is a useful tool for a structured evaluation of my students’ work. I believe every teacher should be familiar with these traits, and this course has equipped me with valuable tools that I might not have gained elsewhere. 

As I prepare for my return to the classroom, I am ready to employ the writing process and the 6 plus one traits of writing to steer students through their writing journey. Additionally, I am eager to establish a vibrant and inviting learning environment for my students. Overall, this course has prompted a shift in my attitude toward writing, setting the groundwork for a more positive and informed approach in my future as an educator.





Comments

  1. Tiaquandra, your blog post is an inspiring reflection on your journey as an educator. Your honesty about the initial challenges and reluctance towards teaching writing is something many educators can relate to. It's encouraging to see how your perspective shifted over the course of the training, turning a once daunting task into an opportunity to inspire your students. Your realization that attitude plays a crucial role in teaching and learning is a valuable insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In reading your post, I realized that you share the same sentiments as me in more ways than one. From finding it tedious, to never knowing of the writing traits. However, I am glad to hear that your outlook has change and you were able to walk away with many helpful tips and ideas that can indeed help you to establish a more vibrant, interactive and engaging class environment. A remarkable growth from where you stated you were to where your mindset is at now. Kudos :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My journey is completely relatable to yours! Seeing how you turned your initial dislike of writing into a newfound motivation for teaching is inspiring Tiaquandra. You demonstrate a thoughtful and holistic approach to teaching by incorporating engaging and relevant writing tasks, along with the 6 plus one traits. I wish you all the best as you bring this newfound passion into your classroom, creating a dynamic and inspiring learning environment for your students. It is certain that your positive shift in perspective will have a lasting impact on their writing endeavors. Wishing you all the best in creating that vibrant learning environment!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment