A Reflection on the Teaching of Writing

 

As I reflect on the teaching of writing, I am reminded of the magic that unfolds when we empower students to use the pen as a tool for self-expression and communication. I now believe that the teaching of writing is incredibly important. Writing is a skill that helps students to foster creativity and develop critical thinking.

Before this course, I only felt confident teaching the genre descriptive writing. Now that I have a vast amount of knowledge on the other genres, expository, persuasive, narrative and poetry, I am certain that I will be successful in teaching these other genres. These genres are the different paths students can take to express themselves. As I prepare myself to return to the classroom, I am elated to guide my students through the steps in becoming exceptional writers.

Teaching writing has always been a challenge for me as I found myself repeating the same steps and hardly finding a way of making the teaching process exciting. With the newfound knowledge on the writing process and the six plus one traits, I am now equipped in providing a framework that will help to assess and give feedback to my students.

There is so much I have learned about the teaching of writing as I journeyed throughout this course “Promoting Writing in the Primary Grades”. I have now learned that as a teacher, it is essential to provide a supportive and engaging environment where students feel encouraged to express their ideas and explore different writing styles. By incorporating different activities, techniques and strategies, such as brainstorming, I am able to assist my students in developing their writing skills and become confident writers. It is s also crucial to provide constructive feedback and celebrate their progress.

Writing is a powerful tool and I believe in empowering my students in becoming effective communicators through the teaching of writing.


Comments

  1. Veronique, your thoughts are really inspiring! Your sudden excitement about teaching different types of writing and including the writing process and traits will definitely have a big effect on your students. Good luck as you bring this love back to the classroom. It's great that you want to help students become confident and expressive writers.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Veronique, your blog captures your growth as an educator, highlighting the importance of writing as a tool for student expression and communication. Your expanded expertise from descriptive to other genres like expository and narrative, aided by the "Promoting Writing in the Primary Grades" course, showcases your professional development. Your approach, involving diverse strategies and constructive feedback, emphasizes your dedication to nurturing creativity and effective communication skills in your students. Your journey reflects the dynamic and transformative nature of teaching writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Veronique, Reading your blog really gave the sense of your growth. This is evident in your excitement shared about the different genres of writing and teaching writing. I agree that writing is is an essential tool for living but it can also serve as a catalyst for entertainment, education and other purposes. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment