Embarking on a Writing Teaching Journey: A Reflection






The journey of teaching writing has been nothing short of an epic. As this chapter of the course draws to a close, I find myself at a point of a fresh start, instilled with a deep admiration for the intricate art of fostering the development of my students in the writing.



As I reflect, I acknowledge the shortcomings in my prior approach. The selection of topics often adhered to the daily themes, disregarding individual interests that might have ignited the students' creativity. I failed to fully appreciate the significance of revision, a critical component of the writing process, in favour of becoming preoccupied with the editing phase. I neglected to consider the larger context of a fascinating piece of writing because my grading techniques were limited to the surface level, namely spelling and grammar.


This course served as a lighthouse, shedding light on the fundamental traits of writing that serve as a foundation of developing a proficient writer. Exploring many forms of writing increased my teaching toolkit and provided useful strategies, particularly in the writing process. Inspired by the captivating "The Flattered Flying Fish" and "the Sea," I am now compelled to incorporate poetry into my classroom as a  form of writing.


Furthermore, I have realised that composition is a skill that can be developed with customised adaptations and is not limited by grade level. Regular writing sessions, not as one-time events but as a weekly practise, are stressed, and this is a key strategy for becoming skilled writers.


As I make arrangements to re-enter the classroom, my thoughts are filled with a mixture of anticipation and nervousness. With the invaluable exercises from this course  and a renewed dedication to the writing process, I can not wait to establish an engaging composition class. My students' pieces of writing will be kept in journals, which serve as evidence of their development.


To those who have joined me on this journey week after week, your unwavering support and engagement have been a guiding light. I hope that my experiences as a writing teacher may motivate you on your own educational journeys. As I bid you farewell, may your pens dance across the pages until our paths cross again.





Comments

  1. Hello Aniqua, your experience through teaching writers is enlightening and motivating. Recognizing and growing from previous shortcomings demonstrates a worthy dedication to development. I wish you well on your return to the classroom and thank you sharing your insightful experiences and knowledge. May the pens of your students keep dancing across the pages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi blogger, this was a great read. I enjoyed visioning your experience of the writing course. It is great to see you recognise your weaknesses and I am hopeful that your new found knowledge will be imparted onto your students when you return to the classroom. Thanks for sharing with us. Good luck in all future endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aniqua I share the same sentiments you have on growing on being a writing teacher. this course has most defiantly been an eye opener to my teaching approach. i take note as well that there will no longer be any surface level feedback provided but utilizing the traits of writing to garner my marking of written work. All the best for your future lessons

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment